ELEVATION TO RANK OF SENIOR ADVOCATE OF NIGERIA, SAN
The Legal Practitioners Privileges Committee, in 2008, elevated SEBASTINE TARTENGER HON to the rank of SENIOR ADVOCATE OF NIGERIA, SAN. He was the only applicant elevated that year as an academic, owing largely to his quite onerous task of combining research and book writing with legal practice.
AWARD OF FELLOWSHIP OF CHARTERED ARBITRATORS
After undertaking mandatory study at the Chartered Institute of Chartered Arbitrators (Nigeria), S.T. Hon, SAN, was inducted as a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, FCIArb., on 21/11/2014.
- Joined Enefiok Udoh & Co. (Barrister & Solicitors), No. 148, Oron Road, Uyo, as a Solicitor/Advocate in office: 1991-1992 (NYSC).
- Set up private law firm called S. T. Hon & Co. (Gaskiya Chambers), No. 88/89, Amadu Bello Way, Gembu, Taraba State. (1992-1995).
- Joined C.A. Idye & Co. (Barristers & Solicitors), No. 10 Capt. Down’s Road, Gboko Benue State as a Solicitor/Advocate in August, 1995 till January, 1996.
- Joined J.L.D. Dagogo & Co. (Barristers & Solicitors), No. 20 Aggrey Road, Port Harcourt, as Solicitor/Advocate, 1996-2000.
- Set up S. T. Hon & Co. (Mimi Chambers), later S.T. Hon (SAN) & Co. (Lawshield Partners), since 2000, and is the Managing Solicitor.
- He has practiced law as Barrister and Solicitor in all strata of courts and Tribunals (e.g. Election Tribunals) in Nigeria, including the Supreme Court of Nigeria and the ECOWAS Courts.
- Has as his clientele responsible corporate bodies like the National Assembly, the Federal Ministry of Justice, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, the Central Bank of Nigeria, National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON), NEXIM Bank, some State Governments, Local Governments, Communities, Commercial Banks, oil Companies, Communities, private individuals, etc.
- Cherishes legal practice, especially advocacy, which if coupled with his background as a researcher, produces wonderful results in court.
RESEARCH AND LITERARY WORKS
Sebastine Tartenger Hon, SAN, FCIArb., is an astute and relentless writer, author and public affairs commentator. His contributions to the development of legal and other literature include the following:
- Co-author of: MANAGEMENT OF PRIMARY SCHOOLS AT THE THIRD TIER OF GOVERNMENT IN NIGERIA: A LEGAL MANUAL (Based on Decree No. 3 of 1991; and published in 1992 during NYSC).
- Author of CONSTITUTIONAL LAW AND JURISPRUDENCE IN NIGERIA (Based on the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 and published in 2004).
- Author of LAW OF EVIDENCE IN NIGERIA: SUBSTANTIVE AND PROCEDURAL (Published in 2006).
- Author of CIVIL PROCEDURE IN NIGERIA [FEDERAL HIGH COURT, STATE HIGH COURTS AND FCT ABUJA HIGH COURT] (Published in 2008).
- Author of S.T. HON’S LAW OF EVIDENCE IN NIGERIA, VOLS. I AND II (Published in 2012)
- Author of NIGERIAN LEGAL DICTION AND PHRASEOLOGY (Manuscript).
- Author of NIGERIA FROM MEDIEVAL TIMES TO THE YEAR 2000: FACTS, FIGURES AND DETAILS (Manuscript).
- Has written countless articles on knotty legal and current issues in notable Nigerian dailies/magazines.
EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
- Has regularly been invited by some Nigerians Universities as a Guest Lecturer on chosen topics in Constitutional Law.
- Has also severally delivered credit-earning lectures to lawyers at the instance of both the National Secretariat and the Port Harcourt Branch of the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA.
- Has delivered, on invitation, papers bordering on topical legal issues in seminars and symposia organised by the various levels and departments of Government.
- Was Alternate Chairman to the Editorial Board Committee of the Nigeria Bar Association (National) between 2012 and August, 2014.
- Was the Chairman of the Continuing Legal Education/Seminar Committee of the NBA, Port Harcourt Branch, between 2012 and April, 2014, having previously served as Consultant to that Committee.
- Is a Consultant on Constitutional Law, Law and Practice of Evidence and General Civil and Criminal Law Practice.
- Engages in sporting activities like badminton and table tennis. Has intention of joining a golf course.